Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Two Lists: Popular vs. Good Albums

Take a look at these lists:

The Top Selling Albums of All Time.

Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

First of all, I look through these lists and see a bunch of albums that I need to buy, but I mostly marvel at the contrast between the lists. For instance, it is incredible to me that Garth Brooks and Shania Twain have albums in the top ten for sales. They both have albums that are higher on the album sales list than anything by The Beatles. Kenny G has an album that is higher on the sales list than Sgt. Pepper's. I haven't checked the whole Rolling Stone list, but I doubt Kenny G makes the cut. I could go on and on with this sort of thing, but the contrast between the lists is staggering.

I think I understand why this disconnect between quality and sales happens, but it interests me.

The Day
  • Workout: crunches and dumbbells
  • Music: none (all-day meeting at work)

No comments: