Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Haikus

Tomorrow will probably be my day to analyze election results, so today is a day to think about voting, but not about candidates.

Ze Frank's readers wrote Election haikus. Many of them were partisan, but a few were not. Here are a few of my non-partisan favorites.

A classic cultural reference.
A campaign promise:
He likes big butts and can't lie.
Mix-A-Lot: '08.
Though the author might have had one candidate in mind, I think this could apply to either:
He's a terrorist:
Manchurian candidate.
My friends, believe me!
As a former teacher, I really like this one, but the author mixes his imagery ("gym" is a mismatch with "fish sticks")
Local middle school
Your gym holds our tomorrow
Yet smells like fish sticks
My rewrite #1:
Local school poll place
Vote in Cafeteria
I still smell fish sticks
My rewrite #2:
Local middle school
Your gym holds our tomorrow
Yet smells like sweat socks

No comments: