Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Wacky Obama Citizenship Conspiracy

A week or so before the election, a friend and his (soon-to-be-former) father-in-law tried to convince me that Obama is not a naturalized citizen of the U.S. I went home and did some research and came up with info from about.com, snopes, and FactCheck.org.

The father-in-law's response didn't actually reflect reading more than the first sentence or two of the first reference, so I gave up trying to convince him. I should have kept at it, but I took the easy way out.

Sometime later, I read that Supreme Court To Review Obama’s Citizenship. The background of this review is (from an AP report):
[some whack-job lawyer named Leo C. Donofrio] initially asked the high court for an emergency stay on Nov. 3. Justice David Souter denied the request three days later. Donofrio then resubmitted his request to Justice Clarence Thomas, who passed it along for consideration by the full court.
The distressing part about this (for me) is that the whack-job failed to convince justice Souter, but found fertile ground for his stupid seed with Justice Thomas. Why did it have to be the black one?

Anyway, the conspiracy has been debunked by several folks:
But, ultimately, the Supreme Court declines to hear challenge to Obama's citizenship. Maybe the conspiracy theorists will give it up.... Right, I was just joking.

No comments: