Thursday, May 28, 2009

TED Talks, Volume 4: Uncertainty

Here is another talk from TED. I enjoy wading through and looking for talks that bring me new connections or ideas. Listening to bright people with innovative ideas provides much-needed fuel for my brain.

Topic: We all have to make decisions under uncertainty just about constantly, and we stink at it.

Dan Gilbert: How we are deceived by our own miscalculations of the future
Note that this also ties into the topic of happiness.

Peter Donnelly: How juries are fooled by statistics
Lawyers and statisticians can make data say what they want.

This topic is near and dear to my heart. I think that everyone should have to take a decent course in probability and statistics. The goal isn't to create more positions for math teachers, but rather to educate people so they can be good citizens.

No comments: