Monday, September 21, 2009

Music Monday: Hardcore Punks Do Mariachi

I heard these guys on NPR this evening. The Bronx are a hardcore punk rock group (here is Past Lives) who decided to put out a mariachi album as El Bronx. When asked why they sing in English, the band's singer Matt Caughtran said:
It just felt like that would be, you know, extremely fake. ... I don't know Spanish.... There is nothing worse in our heads than white guys playing funk. It kinda felt like it would add an element of cheese and it would be wrong if I did that.
Great stuff.

I Would Die 4 U: a nice Prince cover

Cell Mates: my favorite

Holy and Slave Labor have their own charms. The former is all about the guy with the thing that sounds like a washboard. The latter is all about that trumpet. Marvelous. Also great: Clown Powder.

p.s. I know it's been a while since I have posted. I have a ton of draft posts waiting to be finished up and posted. Some day I will scheduled about a month's worth of stuff.

No comments: