Thursday, November 22, 2007

Turkey Day

A day without renovation. We actually were able to sleep in a few minutes and it felt really good.

Turkey Day starts with Turkey Bowl. A bunch of middle-aged men running around trying to play football. Most of us are slow, but we have fun. This year was an unusually injury-free day, so that's a good thing. I see a bunch of these guys only once a year, so it's always a good time.

Next, we went to my sister's house for dinner. She's not very healthy, but was having a good day. I'll write about her another time when I have lots of room, but at this point, suffice it to say that she is an amazing woman who has made many doctors look stupid. She has been given months, weeks, and even days to live as long ago as 15 years and as recently as a little over a year ago. She's incredible and all of us are thankful that she is still around.

I have been pretty good about food for a year, but moderation went out the window today. When turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes and gravy are put in front of me, I revert to the adolescent who thinks he has a bottomless pit for a stomach. Weak people (skinny people) save room for dessert. Strong people (over-eaters) make room for dessert.

Normally, desert at Thanksgiving with my family is the weak spot. Some store-bought pies. Probably a home-made cake. Perhaps orange jello with banana slices.

This year was different. After eating too much dinner, I found that a cousin had made both banana pudding and peach cobbler. I went back for seconds on both. It's unfair when someone who is nice, attractive and very smart is also a good cook. The former Tournament of Roses princess who is now on Harvard Law Review baked killer desserts that might force me to go back up a notch or two on my belt.

The Day:
  • Workout: interval run and Turkey Bowl football
  • Music: Sounds of the Seasons

No comments: