Monday, December 17, 2007

Good News and Bad News for My Brain

The good news is that Verizon is working in my neighborhood to install fiber cables. This means that I will be able to get FiOS soon and will have super-fast Internet access as well as a second choice for television instead of just cable (the big trees to the south of my rambler ensure that satellite is not an option.)

The bad news is that they seem to have cut our phone line, so I will have no Internet access (we have...er...had...DSL) from home for the next couple days. Living without Internet at home is going to be a problem. What if I want to order a plain beef pizza online?

My brain is busy storing all sorts of really critically important information such as the name of Cheap Trick's drummer (Bun E. Carlos) or Elvis Costello's real name (Declan MacManus), so I have outsourced much of my memory functions to Google and Wikipedia. These search and content tools are essentially extensions of my brain. I know just about everything. Ask me whatever you want, just be sure I have access to my extended brain. Without it, I am about as knowledgeable as a can of potted meat.

Life without my extended brain is going to be difficult. Most of my (now copious) offline time will be spent avoiding answering any questions or making decisions of any sort.

At least I can look forward to a brain upgrade once the fiber is in and we get FiOS.

The Day

No comments: