Monday, December 3, 2007

Out With the Old Floor and Reaction to the Pediatrician

The old hardwood floors are out. I feel for the guy who hauled them out of here in his truck. He probably thought it would be an easy job, but certainly carrying it all out to the truck was not easy. Still, I'm glad it's all gone.

Speaking of getting rid of wood, another tree fell in our backyard. This one is way at the back of the yard and is nowhere near the house. Still, we probably should get it taken care of. We really don't need another expense right now. In May, a 90-foot tree fell directly toward our house. Luckily, its base was about 90 feet away from the house, so the tips of its highest branches ended up lying on our back patio without causing any damage. Still, getting it chopped up cost money.

Darn trees.

Finally, several friends have reacted strongly to my post from yesterday. Some want me to tell someone at Pediatrics@Night about the doctor. Others wish I had quoted my resume to the guy. Most are simply aghast.

Frankly, I'm a cynic. I assume that most people have a plethora of prejudices. My strategy for fighting them is to live my life my way. I'm not going to try to beat anyone over the head with the stupidity of their ideas. If I had tried to explain to the doctor the idiocy of his ideas, I would probably have sounded pompous and would certainly have not changed his mind. All I can do is be who I am. If I'm lucky, I can have some small influence on a few people just by being me. This might seem like a cop-out, but it is who I am.

Many men and women (including my parents and grandparents) fought long and hard for me to be able to have the freedom and opportunity to live my life my way. I try to honor their efforts by living a life that is not constrained by other people's opinions about who I should be.

The Day
  • Workout: crunches and push-ups
  • Music: The Cars, The Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo, Vince Guaraldi, Steely Dan

No comments: