Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Gut's a Problem, but I Can't Remember Why

Here is an article about a link between middle-aged belly fat and dementia. The idea is that people who have big guts when in their early to mid 40's had dramatically increased probability of developing Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. Here is an excerpt:
The researchers used a complicated method for measuring fat known as sagittal abdominal diameter (SAD). Those with a SAD score above 25 -- roughly equivalent to a waist of at least 39 inches -- had the biggest bellies and the greatest risk [of developing dementia].
This is scary for me. My gut is where I carry my weight. I have lost some weight over the past year or so. My face, neck, legs, and even waist are a bit more slender, but I still have a gut. I have lost about 4 inches off my waist, but the gut persists.

Another worrisome fact is that my maternal grandmother developed dementia. Watching her struggle with her condition was really a challenge. It didn't steal her memories, but it stole her present.

Time to go do some crunches....

Soundtrack: Marvin Gaye (What's Going On)

No comments: