Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TJ Graduation: Video, Reminiscence, Beach Balls, and Rickrolling

I attended Niece 2's graduation from The Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (AKA TJ) this weekend. It was fun. Here are some thoughts on the ceremony.

Video: Niece 2 is being filmed for a documentary about college admissions, so through most of the ceremony, she had a film crew following her around. It was pretty funny. They filmed as she walked in. They filmed as she walked back to sing with the choir, then as she sang, and as she walked back to her normal seat with the graduates. They filmed her as she sat listening to the proceedings. The upside was that it made it easier to find her after the ceremony. We could just look for the boom mic and the video camera.

Reminiscence: I used to teach at TJ, so I know some of the teachers and enjoyed seeing them. One Math/Computer Science teacher in particular, who also taught me Geometry and Computer Science when I was in high school, was a tremendous teacher. He's retiring this year and I'm happy for him, but sad for TJ.

Beach Balls: Every once in a while, some kids would start knocking a beach ball around before some teacher or security person got a hold of it. I understand that the teachers don't want the kids to be rude to the speakers and to preserve some sense of decorum, but I also understand the kids who are barely holding in their elation. I feel like the beach balls should come out every once in a while, bounce around, then be put away.

The last student speaker had a short, funny speech that ended with him saying:
I'm never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you
I love that he rickrolled the entire Patriot Center.

The bottom line is that we are all so incredibly proud of Niece 2 and her ability to make it through high school while dealing with more serious issues than most of us can imagine. Actually, she didn't just "make it through," she excelled in the face of adversity and that's really remarkable. After this, I have little doubt that she will kick major butt when she heads to college.

Soundtrack: Gorillaz (Demon Days and their eponymous first album)

No comments: