Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Complicated Electoral Decision

I am not a fan of the current Republican Party, but this doesn't make me a fan of the Democrats.

Republicans should be for small government, but they champion many causes that limit liberty. Democrats never pretend to be about small government, but their support of big government goes too far for me.

Ideally, I think I would rather have one party in control of the executive branch and a different party in control of the legislative. Specifically, I'd rather have a democratic President with a Republican Congress (as was probably a big part of Clinton's winning Presidential recipe), but that doesn't seem possible this time, so I am torn.

Obama is smart and eloquent and seems able to make things happen. Defeating the Clinton machine was very impressive and it speaks volumes about his political abilities. On the other hand, he has little experience and a Democratic President with a Democratic Congress is a scary thought.

McCain doesn't toe anybody's party line. He's willing to work across party lines and has many positions that make sense. As far as I'm concerned, McCain's biggest problem is that he's a Republican. I'm afraid of his party. As a party, the Republicans have done a crappy job with the Executive branch for the past eight years. They have lied, and broken rules, and diminished our civil liberties.

Neither VP candidate is perfect. Biden is a hot head, while Palin is socially ultra-conservative and spectacularly under-qualified. Obama certainly gets the edge here, but Biden isn't great.

I honestly don't know who I am going to vote for, but whichever way I decide, I won't be particularly happy about it.

No comments: