Monday, November 10, 2008

Music Monday: Some of My Favorite Symphonies

Franz Schubert's Italian Symphony is best known as the music that was used in the bicycling movie Breaking Away. It still makes me want to go out and start racing against trucks on big, flat roads in the midwest.


Camille Saint-Saens' 3rd Symphonie (The Organ Symphony) has a second movement that is absolutely sublime.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique has been a favorite of mine ever since my Freshman year in college when I took music appreciation with Lowell Lindgren (I have posted about this piece and this course before.) Symphonie Fantastique is a unique, fun, impressive piece that really tells an interesting story in a moving way. I'll always remember the snippet Professor Lindgren played for us to identify on the final (timecode 8:18-8:27).

No comments: