Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Orlando/Disney Trip

The family and I went to Orlando a while ago. The trip was mostly all about a little par 3 course and a lazy river pool at the hotel, but we also took a day trip to Disney's Magic Kingdom. By "the family" I mean Mrs. Kid, Boy and Girl Kid, as well as Ma and Pa Kid. It was quite a good trip.

Ride Line Updates
I posted Facebook updates from most of the ride lines. That was fun. I would never do something like that while on a vacation at the beach, but my first trip to Disney seemed like a good time to give it a shot.

The Stories and Characters
When I was on the Peter Pan ride, I realized that Boy and Girl Kid don't know the story or characters at all and I don't remember it enough to care about it. The ride is a total dud unless you know the story and are really into the characters. This ride was a waste of time (and, more importantly, a waste of a FastPass).

This got me to thinking about Disney as a whole. When it comes to the rides at the Magic Kingdom, most of them aren't all that amazing. If you aren't into the characters and stories, then maybe Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens is just as good.

The No Coors Lite Effect
After thinking "maybe a trip to Kings Dominion would be just as good as Disney" for a couple minutes, I realized what makes Disney so remarkable: No Coors Lite. No Bud. No Miller. No booze whatsoever. Why does this matter? It means that nobody gets sloppy drunk and things stay cleaner and more civil. It makes a big difference.

Parades, Princesses, and "Plush"
We watched two parades. The first was painful. It was a sappy, princess-centric thing that made my teeth ache. The second parade was much better. The music was more fun and less sappy, the characters were more fun, and there were men on stilts! Our greatest fear about Disney was that we would see lots of what one friend calls "plush." Girl Kid is terrified of anybody in a costume. Red Robin, the Chik-Fil-A cow, and Chuck-E-Cheese are all sources of terror for her. It turned out that we were able to avoid the plush entirely, so that was good.

After Disney: Golf, Pools, and Pina Coladas
After a day at Disney, the rest of the trip was spent at the Omni ChampionsGate playing par 3 golf and hanging out by and in the pools and the lazy river.

Overall, it was a great trip. Both kids loved Disney and the lazy river, and Boy Kid loved playing golf with his grandparents.

p.s. It's a good thing I didn't know about Orlando's inexperienced air traffic controllers before I went. Then again, maybe Vicki is right.

No comments: