Monday, February 22, 2010

Music Monday: Reliving High School Afternoons

While working today, I have been listening to albums that take me back to afternoons in my bedroom after school was done. I didn't have much when I was in high school, but I had a Fisher receiver, a Technics turntable, and a pair of pretty crappy speakers. When I got home from school, I would crank the tunes.

As I look back on that music, I find that some albums still work for me, while others have a very small niche to fill. Here are some of the albums from that time in increasing order of their likelihood of my listening to them today.

Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan
Video: Surrender
When I went to an Episcopalian youth group retreat at St. George's Camp in southern VA, it was my first real introduction to rock and roll. My most vivid memory from that week before my Sophomore year in HS is everyone yelling along to Surrender at the top of our lungs.

Supertramp, Breakfast in America
Video: The Logical Song
These lyrics always worked for me. Mrs. Kid and I chose Supertramp's Downstream for our first dance at our wedding, but before I knew Even in the Quietest Moments at all (beyond the nice album cover), Breakfast in America had me with a handful of great tunes.

Led Zepellin, In Through the Out Door
My first Led Zep album was their last. It's not their greatest album, but I still like it. I liked that the inner sleeve for the vinyl changed colors when you wiped it with water. Fun gimmick for a fun album. After listening to Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti, and other more well-regarded albums so much in the last several years, coming back to In Through the Out Door is kinda refreshing.

Yes, Fragile
I still love this album. The opening track Roundabout was my favorite song for a couple years when I was in HS, but now I find much of the album still works.

Some time, I will post other lists of albums from my deep, dark past.

No comments: