Monday, November 26, 2012

The Luckiest Guy Around

I'm a really lucky guy.

Not everyone is lucky enough to find a person with whom they want to share their life. Mrs. Kid and I have entered a phase where we are finding that some friends and family had marriages that didn't stand the test of time. As I said in Marriage and Your Inner Economist:
When we focus on love, commitment, and partnership, happiness seems to flow. As we successfully work as a team, we get positive reinforcement that makes for a happier relationship and thus leads to less stress and more happiness. I love Mrs. Kid and I love our partnership. She makes me happy not because she has to, but just because she does. Does she make me happy 100% of the time? No, but I love her 100% of the time and am happy about the commitment I made. 
Today is our 18th anniversary, so I think we have a pretty good idea of how well we work. I've had 18 years of the greatest thing that could happen to me. I'm sure I don't say it often enough, but I know that I am incredibly lucky to have her.

As lucky as I am, Boy and Girl Kid are also lucky (or is that a curse?) to have parents who agree on just about everything that matters. We have similar visions for our life together, and for our kids. That sort of simpatico on the stuff that matters seems to be kinda rare, but I am lucky to be a part of it.

Everyone should follow Joseph Campbell's sage advice: Follow your bliss. I'm lucky to have Mrs. Kid as my bliss.

And here is the first song we danced to on that lovely late-autumn day:

It was a wonderful way to begin our life together.

No comments: