Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Silver Lining off in the Distance?

I have mentioned before that a silver lining of these high gas prices could be real progress toward more renewable fuels. Here are some signs that the silver lining could be in view:
  • Mercedes to cut petroleum out of lineup by 2015 is an article that gives me some hope. I don't drive a Mercedes, but if they can make it work, so can other auto manufacturers.
  • Technology Review's May/June issue had an article [available here once you complete their free, quick registration] about a company called A123 Systems that is developing some really interesting batteries. This is the type of progress we need to see more of.
  • John McCain is proposing a $300 million prize for big progress in electric battery technology. I like the idea of creating incentives to get private industry to make big progress, but I think that the challenge should be extended to progress in hydrogen fuel cell progress.
I know these aren't necessarily imminent breakthroughs, but they give me hope.

No comments: